You Must Be This Tall to Ride This Ride…
If the mortgage business was an airplane ride, then we would all have to have our seat belts securely fastened, and our trays in an up right and locked position. The turbulence would probably be cause to land at the nearest air port, hopefully in one piece. This market can have the ability to paralyze even the best of loan officers. What should we do, how should we do it, and where are the opportunities.
Well, opportunities are everywhere – you just need to know where to look.
Here are some strategies that you can use to be successful in any market.
1. You have to solve the clients problem. These will change from market to market, so it is important for you to have your finger on the pulse of what the biggest problem is and then seek to find a solution. For example, for years loan officers have tried everything to get Realtors to send them business, BUT what is the Realtors single largest problem? Finding clients! If you put all your efforts into creating a system to bring buyers to agents how many agents would not only take your call but buy YOUR lunch? This goes for finding clients as well, find their problem and solve it!
2. You need to be the Source for the Info! Everyone is scrambling to not just get information, but the right information. I have had countless conversations with people who think the $8000 tax incentive is a credit or a loan that has to be re-paid. When I tell them it is actually a real live check, they perk up and start thinking about buying! People need to know that you have the correct info, and they will seek you out!
3. You need to bring the Passion! When you are passionate, you can transfer that through to your clients via your sales presentation. You need to be enthusiastic and that enthusiasm needs to show through in the tone of your voice, the non verbal expressions, and your body language!
4. You need to build relationships! Facebook, blogging, twittering, and other social media is great to get the message out but the fact still remains that people will do business with people they KNOW, LIKE, and TRUST. I may know you via facebook, but until I open a meaningful telephone or face to face conversation, I may never refer or do business with you.
5. Quit is a dirty four letter word. You may need to make more calls, take more apps, and fight more battles, but there is still plenty of business out there for the taking! Heck, this is going to be another 1 trillion dollar industry and you are telling me you can’t find a loan? Maybe, just maybe you are not working that hard.
Like I said, you have to be THIS tall to ride THIS ride of real estate, but those who do…whooooaaaa nelly…it is going to be something you remember for the rest of your life!